Teachers / Educators
The Children’s Department offers many services to Norwich area elementary schools, preschools and daycare centers.
The Children’s Department staff can:
- Help you organize a class visit to the Library for a tour, stories, book talks, or research help and online catalog tutorial.
- Visit your class for stories, book talks, and/or information about the Library.
- Show you our Teacher Collection, featuring curriculum tie-in materials
- Recommend titles (or prepare book lists) for thematic units
- Set aside subject collections for your students to use in the library only
Schedule a Class Visit
The Otis Library Children’s Department offers tours of the Children’s Department for preschool – fifth grade classes on Friday mornings. Please plan on a 30 minute visit to the Children’s Department. If your students will be conducting research or checking out books, we recommend you allow for additional time. When you visit, we can provide:
- Tours and orientation to the Children’s Department
- Library card registration
- Storytimes for preschool, kindergarten and 1st grade classes
- Group project reference help
- Tutorial on “How to find a book”/ Using our online catalog
- Thematic or general book talks (also available in your classroom)
- Browsing and student book checkouts
Class Visit Library Card Registration Information
For many children a class trip to the library may be their first opportunity to visit the Otis Library. This is a wonderful opportunity to sign children up for their first library card. Students must apply for library cards in advance to receive cards during the class visit. To arrange for Library cards for your students, please:
- Call or visit the Otis Library Children’s Department to schedule a class visit and alert staff that you would like to register your students for library cards.
- Print out a Children’s Library Card Application Form for each of your students. (See our Library Card Guidelines)
- Send the Application Form home with the students, to be signed by a parent or guardian and returned to you.
- Complete a cover sheet and hand-deliver the completed application forms (including expired cards or money for replacement cards), with cover sheet to the Children’s Department at least one week before your scheduled library visit.
The Library staff will then enter/update each child’s card so that all cards will be ready for distribution when the class arrives at the Library. There is no time to do this while the class is at the Library.